Monday, June 18, 2012

Sigh

I realize that as a gender, men are lazy, so I try to cut Zach some slack when he whines and cries about doing ANYTHING. However, after almost a year and a half, he still refuses to do "chores" that require any real physical labor. He has done nothing since summer began except play, go to camp, take swim lessons, play with friends, watch TV, movies and play games. I have allowed him to be places where he could do all the things boys do, so when he returned home yesterday, all I said was, "take a shower. You smell bad." The truth and not even a chore; it's his own hygiene. I honestly don't think he had bathed since we were at the race a week ago. He proceeded to stand in the shower, with the water running, and tell me he had bathed. I caught him getting out, bone dry. Why? Then he tried to lie about it. He still smells, AND THERE IS NOT ONE DROP OF WATER ON HIS BODY!

This morning we got up early because I thought if we got an early start on the front yard, that we could do something later in the day. Sadly, all he did was play around. I dug up all the weeds. I raked through the flower bed. I put up with his incessant whining and complaining. I am just so tired. Whether I am out there working with him (he stares at me mostly,) or he is out there alone, the result is the same. He throws a giant fit, full of crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth, like he is possessed. Now I sigh, walk inside and shut the door.

What am I doing wrong? I cannot continue to be the warden. I cannot allow anyone to try and help, because for the most part, they are transient in my life. The kid thinks he can behave however he likes and that I have to keep him. The thing is - I don't have to do anything. Why doesn't he get that? It is like the only recourse I have left is to place him at a lock down facility until he is 18 years old. What good will that do? I am not sure, but it cannot be any worse than the job I am doing apparently. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment