Monday, June 6, 2011

Feeling domestic

Today was an interesting day. I spent nine hours with two 9 year old boys who never stopped speaking. Corbin and Zach are like peas in a pod. They kept jinxing one another throughout the day. They loved making me a little nuts as well. Still, I got to read the whole Sunday, New York Times, including the Book Review. It was fabulous.

They played catch; I watched. They went to the batting cages; I watched. They went to Tornado Terry's (video arcade); I watched. They wanted my attention no matter what they did. When we finally got home, they wanted to watch King Kong (Jack Black version); I watched. It is like they want to spend time with one another, but they don't want me to be very far away. Corbin seems to have issues with losing buttons to keep his pants up. I sewed on a new button. He said he had some other things that needed to be sewed too. I rolled my eyes. Corbin said he liked my house. It was happy. I laughed out loud at that one because the house to me is kinda dismal. Children have such a different perspective on things.

In the end, I was so wrapped up in the two little guys and our semi-grand adventure today that I hardly chatted up the minor league baseball player batting two cages down. When I went to get some more tokens (I know I shouldn't, but the boys were just hitting their stride.) the minor leaguer asked if I was their sister? I started to laugh. He said they both called me, Michele, and I did not look old enough to have two boys that age. I said thanks, but then I realized he remembered my name. Cool. A guy who remembers my name always intrigues me. But in the next second, the woman came, took my $10 and handed me my tokens. I said thanks, waved to the guy and walked back to the boys, who were waiting patiently on the bench.

I just wasn't into him (plus he was a smoker, which was weird for an athlete), or the 25 year old who called me Sweet Thing at the gym, touching my chin and winking. I seriously chuckled at that one because it is a more intimate move and not one that works well when you are all sweaty and gross.  But honestly, I do not think I much cared that they were interested. Nowadays, I seem to be more worried about play dates, camps, remodeling and my man. I feel a little domesticated.

So tomorrow will be another day with the boys. Breakfast then I am thinking Putt-Putt, batting cages, Nerf at the park and maybe some Wii. I do not regret the time I get to spend with Corbin and Zach, but I think I may need a bloody mary soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment