Friday, August 24, 2012

Notes from an almost English Professor

If only I'd stop changing my scope of study. I get to researching and writing my dissertation and then lose focus. I am just bored with school. I don't want to complete my PhD just to say, "Hey, I have a PhD," but I cannot find anything within my concentration that still interests me. Don't get me wrong. I love to try new technologies in the classroom, find new ways of presenting 18th Century British literature, meet my colleagues for coffee and talk about hyperbole and student engagement - BUT, I want to get my next degree in something that will allow me to diversify my course options.

In the meantime, I am teaching adjunct all over the place. Now that I have been in Texas for a while, and I know I am also going to be here for a while, I can now enroll at UTD and try to get a full-time gig here, somewhere. But for now, I have nine classes: four 8-week traditional dual credit (comp I&II, Brit Lit I&II) , three 4-week traditional comp I, and two 16-week online comp II. That's no less than 122 students at anytime in the semester, which does not seem like many students to some, but when each student writes no less than four essays per course and usually a longer research paper, well . . . You do the math; I am already tired.

Plus, none of the schools really seem to be prepared. I was "hired" by one school in June, and I am still not in the system. How difficult is it to enter in my information when it has been sitting on your desk for three months? On the other hand, my other college, whose Dean of Academic Affairs just hired me last week, has me in the system. pending only the background check.

Luckily, I have a diverse population of students this semester - not your normal box of crayons. I have high school, international, returning professional and first generation. I have a potpourri of pupils. Woo hoo!

Plus, I had my first skype/facetime office hours of the semester last night. My students were excited to see me. I think they feel somehow less removed from the physical classroom if they know they can really see me, in the flesh, so to speak.

I am also excited about returning to the classroom after teaching solely online for the last year and a half. It is exhausting, being attached to the computer, draining my energy. Who recharges teachers?

Off to another meeting, and then "meet the teacher" night for Zach. Why is everything last minute? I am shipping Zach off to a friends for the weekend so that I can finish prepping for the classes that begin on Monday.

I thank God every day for Sherry and Christie; two strong, sweet, honest women, who give selflessly. I have been blessed with meeting a few new people since returning to Texas who have reinforced my notion that people may not be perfect, but some are inherently good, regardless of circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment