Monday, November 5, 2012

My uneasy mind

Who knew that buying a house would be so difficult. I am not even talking about all the financial chaos either. I want my house to be spectacular! Who doesn't. I am drawn to Bridgeport. I love that sleepy little town. The lake is so serene, and the people are just so down-to-earth. I have lived in numerous small towns, and I always feel so connected. I love knowing everyone, and oddly, having everyone know me. It seems like a great place to open a little coffee shop where regulars stop in every day just to pass on the latest gossip, which I abhor really, but in that same conversation there are nuggets of wisdom, personal narratives and vast experiences shared. I will take a little bit of local water-cooler talk if it opens up a true dialogue.

So, after months and months of searching, I think I have finally found the perfect house for Zach and I. Still, I cannot be certain that there are no hidden repairs or flaws to the house. I know there is a required "full disclosure" as well as a "before closing inspection," but I do not feel that the seller, agent or inspector always has the buyer's best interest at heart. My distrustful nature is keeping me from making an offer. I am so leery of people these days and their motives. My brain is definitely in control this time. My heart LOVES the house, but I have learned, painfully, that the heart is an untrustworthy adviser.

I asked an opinion of the only person I trust implicitly in the world, who said it looked beautiful, had a great selling price and breath-taking view (I am paraphrasing). But then there was the cautionary text that read "get a good inspector of your own. One who will have your interests in mind." I want to ask my friend to give it a good once-over, but that is out of the question, so here I am, stuck in the muck that is my uneasy mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment